The Best Camping in Canberra
There are several great options for camping in Canberra.
Are you looking for cheap Canberra camping?
A conveniently located Canberra campsite to access the Canberra attractions?
Or simply a peaceful Canberra getaway?
Find them all right here!
Note: Camp fees shown are current for January 2011.
Peaceful Camping in Canberra
Old Kowen Homestead Recreation Area
Set within the Kowen Forest Pine Plantation. Access is along Kowen Road, which is signposted off Sutton Road, northeast of Canberra on the way to Queanbeyan.
The gate is approximately 2km north of Queanbeyan, and the campground (from memory) is approximately 8km from the locked gate - it seems a long way, but just keep driving - it's worth it!
- Bookings are essential, because when you book you are given the access code to unlock the padlock on the gate. You can book through the Namadgi Visitors Centre (for this, and other Canberra camping) on ph. 02 6207 2900 or through Canberra Connect on 132 281 (office hours only).
- Fee: $5.70/person/night. Children under 10yrs, free.
- Pit toilet, no showers.
- Gas and wood fired BBQ's.
- Central picnic shelter + scattered picnic tables.
- Bring own drinking water. No water available on site.
- Pets allowed.
- No bins provided.
This campground in Canberra is quite isolated
, and some distance from the popular Canberra attractions.
Our family were the only campers when we stayed there in October, 2010. We didn't feel comfortable leaving our van and doing a Canberra day trip, as planned, so reluctantly moved on from this beautiful and tranquil location
for camping in Canberra.
Convenient Canberra Camping
Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC)
This site for camping in Canberra is quite the opposite of Old Kowen Homestead! Located right beside the highway, (at the corner of the Federal Highway and Flemington Road), 8km north of the city centre, it is very close to the action.
- Very convenient location from which to access Canberra attractions. For example, The National Gallery of Canberra is 11km away, and the Australian War Memorial, 8.5km.
- Surprisingly quiet (given its location). EPIC is set on 70 hectares of land.
- Full amenities: hot showers, flushing toilets and laundry.
- Rates: Powered sites $25/night, unpowered sites $20/night. 2 people included. Extra people $5/night.
- Sites have access to water.
- Large drive through grass sites for caravans and motorhomes.
- Grey water and black water dump points.
- Farmers Markets onsite from 8am-11am Saturday mornings.
- Pet Friendly
- Plenty of space for children to run around, ride bikes or scooters etc.
NOTE: EPIC is closed for several short periods each year as events are held on site. For more information, phone: 02 6241 3022 or (a/h)0418 630 034 or website: www.epic.act.gov.au
Cheap Campsite Canberra
Located on the banks of the Cotter River, among shady native and exotic trees in Cotter Reserve, 20km west of Canberra. This popular site for camping in Canberra is readily accessed by 2WD vehicles.
Travel along Cotter Road until you reach the bridge across the Murrumbidgee River. The campground is the first left after the bridge.
NOTE: This campground will be closed until at least 31 May, 2011 as construction work continues on Cotter Dam.
- Toilets, showes and washing up facilities.
- Fee: $8/person/night. Children under 10 years, free. Pay fee to ranger, campground host or honesty box as campground entrance.
- No onsite power or sullage.
- No pets allowed.
- Free electric BBQ and shared wood BBQ's (BYO wood).
- Fish or swim in the Cotter and Murrumbidgee Rivers. The nearby Casuarina Sands is a popular swimming spot.
- Short walking tracks lead to the dam and river.
- Bookings are NOT required, and maximum stay allowed is 2 weeks.
- For more information phone Canberra Connect on 132 281.
Access many great attractions while camping in Canberra
Australian War Memorial, Canberra
National Museum, Canberra
Have you stumbled across a wonderful campsite as you've travelled in Canberra, ACT? Or do you have a favourite that you keep coming back to? We'd love to hear from you!
We'll publish your submission so that we and other visitors to this site can benefit from your experience - thankyou...
What is YOUR Favourite Campsite?
A secluded beachfront haven? A national park teeming with wildlife? A well-located, value-for-money site with friendly hosts?
Whatever made it special, share it here...
What Other Travellers Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Back To Free Camping
Back to HOME PAGE from Camping in Canberra