Our Top Camping in Victoria.
Victoria may be small, but opportunities for camping in Victoria certainly aren't. Choose from a huge range of landscapes and activities for your next trip. Below we share our favourite Victorian campsites.
For us, a campsite will usually be classed as a favourite due to its natural features or uniqueness. Othertimes we'll find one that stands out simply because it is cheap amongst many expensive alternatives. If you read the description, you'll figure out why we've included it in our selection.
Virtually all of the sites we have listed are readily accessed by your average car and caravan.
Please be aware that any pricing given is indicative only, and was current during 2008.
Ferny Flat, Alpine NP (27km north of Omeo on Omeo Valley Rd). One of countless beautiful freecamps in the Victorian High Country
We've broken the listings up into:
- Free Camping
- Cheap Camping (less than $10 per site for a family)
- Good Value for MoneyNot less than $10, but good value due to close proximity to towns/cities, attractions or campsite features.
- Unique CampingThis includes sites that may not be cheap, but are worthwhile due their uniqueness or special features.
- Good Roadside CampingStaying roadside is not generally the goal of a camping trip, but a means to an end. In an effort to save money en-route to a destination, we often find ourselves camping by the side of a road for a night here and there. Some of these roadside stops are better than others, so here we list some sites that we have actually enjoyed (not just endured!)
- Melbourne - City Camping
Free Camping in Victoria
1. Johanna Beach - 4.7km south of the Great Ocean Road (along Red Johanna Rd).
- Campsites on large grassy area behind sand dunes.
- Great beach, world class surf, but can be dangerous for inexperienced swimmers/surfers.
- Delightful bushwalking.
- Very peaceful and scenic.
- Toilet facilities available, but bring own drinking water.
2. Christie's Beach - 5km east of Echuca
- Bush camping on the banks of the Murray River.
- Toilet facilities, fires allowed, bring own drinking water.
- Swimming, fishing, water-skiing.
- Access the sites of Echuca.
Good Value for Money Camping in Victoria
1. Surfside Holiday Park - Warrnambool
- $28/powered site for 2 adults (children free) Off-peak rate.
- Great location - walk across sand dunes to beach.
- Short walk to Lake Pertobe Adventure Park. One of the best free playgrounds we have found - includes flying foxes, a maze, several playgrounds, water features and more.
- Good access to all Warrnambool attractions.
- Great facilities.
Unique Camping in Victoria
1. Mount Eccles National Park - 10km west of Macarthur (Mt.Eccles Rd).
- $14/site per night (whole family).
- Includes hot shower, flushing toilets and firewood.
- Spot koalas in the trees around your campsite, but beware of over-friendly possums!
- Because Mt Eccles is an extinct volcano, you can enjoy bushwalking along lava tunnels and in lava caves. Also swimming in the crater of Lake Surprise.
Good Roadside Camping in Victoria
1. Lightning Creek camping area - 20km Sth of Mitta Mitta on Omeo Highway.
- Beside Lightning Creek.
- Swimming, fishing.
- Peaceful and scenic.
- Toilet facilities and fireplaces.
Camping near Melbourne
It is challenging to find good, value for money camping accommodation around Australia's capital cities. Our favourite stay is the Riverview Family Caravan Park, which is approximately 100km from the city, on the Barwon River, close to Ocean Grove Beach. (Also about 25km south-west of Geelong).
1. Riverview Family Caravan Park - Ocean Grove (near Barwon Heads).
- $22/night for 2 adults, all children under 18yrs free.
- Great location for watersports and fishing.
- Close proximity to the attractions of Geelong, and not too far for a day trip to the city of Melbourne.
See our great selection of Victoria Maps
Have you stumbled across a wonderful campsite as you've travelled in Victoria? Or do you have a favourite that you keep coming back to? We'd love to hear from you!
We'll publish your submission so that we and other visitors to this site can benefit from your experience - thankyou...
What is YOUR Favourite Campsite?
A secluded beachfront haven? A national park teeming with wildlife? A well-located, value-for-money site with friendly hosts?
Whatever made it special, share it here...
What Other Travellers Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Mt Samaria - Near Mansfield Not rated yet
The old logging kiln site.
There is one drive-in camp with long drop toilet and permanent fresh water from a spring. Room for 4/5 campervans.
Toora-Franklin River Reserve Not rated yet
Hooray - the South Gippsland Council have come back to their senses and once again allow free camping in this great spot on the Sth Gippsland Highhway …
Noojee Not rated yet
Looks like something John Denver would sing about and FREE .
Click here to write your own.
Choose your area to camp and Family Getaways Melbourne (FGM) can help out suggesting Tourist Attractions nearby.
SuperNan gives you an Insider’s Guide to Family Getaways and fun things to see and do with your loved ones, in and around magnificent Melbourne, Australia.
FGM provides great tips for travel and vacation into the beautiful and often spectacular countryside of Victoria. A little State but packed full of surprises creating wonderful family memories.
Back To Free Camping
Back to HOME PAGE from Camping in Victoria