How Much Does it Cost to Travel Australia?
Our Family's Experience.
It's a personal question,"Just how much does it cost to travel Australia?" But for anyone contemplating an Australian trip
, it is one that needs an answer.
Expenditure choices are unique to each individual and family situation, but we hope that by sharing our circumstances and travel expense records, you will be able to apply similarities and differences to your own situation and determine a realistic travel budget to help you plan and prepare for your own adventure.
As we were interested to discover for ourselves just what our travel costs would be, so we kept detailed expenditure records during a 10 week trip in 2006. This trip took us from the NSW south coast to the south-west of Western Australia and back.
We also kept details during a 35 week trip in 2008 which took us to every state in Australia, except Tassie, so we will share that information here.
From this page and links from it, you will find:
- A summary of expenses from our 2006 and 2008 trips.
- A detailed look at each category of expenditure, and how to save money in each of those areas yourself.
- Our top tips for saving money on your Australia travel expenses.
Cost To Travel Australia - Summary
Per Week for 5 People
nb The cost to travel Australia figures above exclude:
|TOTAL per week||$830||$812|
Initial set-up costs, repairs, maintenance, vehicle registration and insurance, gifts and souveniers.
Because these items are so variable, we have kept this table as only on-going, everyday, discretionary expenditure categories.
The one-off type costs (such as initial set-up), will be discussed separately in additional pages (coming soon).
General Information and Spending Philosophy
- We are a 5 person family - Mum, Dad, 3 children (aged 4, 6 and 8 in 2008).
- We drive a 1998 Toyota Prado 4WD (dual fuel: LPG/Petrol), and tow an off-road Jayco Expanda caravan.
- We enjoy a considered, and generally frugal lifestyle, which enables us to travel for longer on our budget.
From the following links, you will find detailed information on what we spent our money on, what was good (and perhaps more importantly, what wasn't!), and tips to save you money on your Australia trip.
Visit our Fuel Saving Tips Page
Return from Cost to Travel Australia to Home Page